Makes 2 large loaves?
This is my vegan milk bread recipe that I use as a base dough for most of my breads. It has a 75% hydration and makes a lot of bread, I generally like to do an overnight rest before baking however, it is not necessary. Another Variation I like to do is to replace 200g of the milk with canned pineapple juice to make “hawaiian rolls”
- Cooled Tangzhong
- 650g bread flour
- 50g sugar
- 7g yeast (2 tsp)
- 320g milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 10g butter or fat
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp sugar/maple syrup
Making the Tangzhong
- If making in the microwave, combine the 65g of flour and 240ml of milk in a microwave safe bowl, if making on the stove top, do the same in a pot
- Microwave in 15 second intervals, mixing thoroughly , for stove top heat on medium heat and whisk constantly.
- Continue microwaving or whisking until the mixture is a mashed potato consistency, thick but not too thick. Its okay to have some lumps.
- Cover with plastic wrap to avoid creating a skin and put in the fridge to cool completely
Making the dough
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter and add the cold milk. Let it sit to the side until it is luke warm.
- In a stand mixer, add the flour, potato startch, salt, and sugar and mix slowly to combine.
- Once the dry mix looks combined, add the tangzhong and begin to mix, slowly add the milk until you get a sticky wet dough. If it looks too wet, thats okay.
- Continue kneading until you get to the window pane ** stage, this will take a while.
- Once kneaded, lightly butter the top of the dough and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit for an hour or 30 minutes if you are in a warm climate.
- While waiting for the dough to rise, I recommended lining some baking tins with parchment paper or butter.
- Once the odugh is risen, punch down the dough and shape.
- lightly butter or grease the shaped dough and cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge if letting it rise over night or let is sit out for 2 hours or until doubled in size
- If rising over night, let it sit at room temperature for an hour or so before baking.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celcius or 350 degrees farenight
- Bake for 20 mins and then brush on the glaze before baking for another 10 minutes or until golden